Saturday, February 9, 2013

Winter Into Spring

Have I mentioned that I'm not a fan of winter? Even though I've lived in either Indiana or Illinois for most of my life (minus 4 years in KY at school and 3 years in NC), I've never learned to like it. I can barely tolerate it. However, the upside of winter is that you appreciate the arrival of spring so much more.

It's been an odd month and a half. The week before Christmas, within a span of 48 hours, I learned that Stephie's job was a mess, and then Jerry's job at Caterpillar had been eliminated. It seemed fitting that I learned this during the darkest part of winter. I will admit that it was a hard week for me. I will also admit that the news hit me hard, and I've struggled to figure it out. However, like winter into spring, I'm beginning to see God's hand at work as I learn (once again--I'm a slow learner, apparently) to put my trust in Him and allow Him to guide us through this process. Slowly, things are emerging and beginning to show life. Stephie has found a new job, and Jerry has been put into a pool within Caterpillar to hopefully find a new position at Caterpillar. I'm calling 2013 the year of transitions.

You know how dirty and gray the yard looks in the middle of winter? Yet, already, I'm seeing a few daffodil leaves come up just enough to give me hope. Years ago, my grandmother would insist that the winter had been too cold and had killed everything (she would start this at the end of February, because by then in Mississippi, things had been blooming for weeks). We would assure her that no, things weren't dead--they were just taking awhile. Sure enough, within a few weeks, her yard would be in full bloom and, once again, beautiful. Patience is a virtue (and one that I could stand some work on). So it is that I'm beginning to see some things happen that shows me that God has this under control and I should back off with the worrying!

I'm one of those people that sticks in a CD while in the car, and on occasion, the lyrics on the CD will really speak to me, and I'll listen to it until it's about worn out. So it has been with a Larnelle Harris CD that I just randomly stuck in the CD player recently (and if you know me at all, you know I have a soft spot for my tenors). It's one of his lesser known CDs called I Want to be a Star (like a star in heaven, shining for Jesus, not like a star on stage). Anyway, several of the songs really were exactly what I needed to hear. This one, in particular, has spoken to me the past couple of weeks (I told you I listen to them a long time when they speak to me).  I would like to share the lyrics with you:

If Not For the Storms
Words by Larnelle Harris

If all I had were blue skies
And days of perfect peace
Always sailing smoothly over
Gentle, Quiet seas

There's so much about You
I might have never known
But I have faced the wind and waves
And I see how faith has grown

If not for the storms
I couldn't say that You're my shelter
If not for the storms
I would have never known Your strength
I found You so faithful
Through all that You allowed
If not for the storms
There's no way I'd know You
As I know You now.

A shepherd strong and tender
I'd only read about
Met me in the middle of
My moments filled with doubt

A provider, a protector
A friend who knew my need
There's so much I can tell of who
You've proven Yourself to be.

If not for the storms
I couldn't say that You're my shelter
If not for the storms
I would have never known Your strength
I found You so faithful
Through all that You allowed
If not for the storms
There's no way I'd know You
As I know You now.

Sometimes it's hard to see the reasons for the trial I'm in
Looking from this earthly point of view
But You have surely proven to me time and time again
I can depend on you
To bring me through.

If not for the storms
I couldn't say that You're my shelter
If not for the storms
I would have never known Your strength
I found You so faithful
Through all that You allowed
If not for the storms
There's no way I'd know You
As I know You now.

So, yeah. That's kind of where I am right now. People are praying for our situations, and I feel the prayers. If you are so inclined, we would cherish your prayers that Jerry finds the right job for our family and that things will all come together for both him and Stephie in their new positions. Pray that God will see us through, as we continue to trust in Him, and not allow fear and doubt to overtake our thoughts, and that God will allow this time to bring us closer to Him as we see His work in our lives.

Thank you for remembering us, and God bless each of you. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this Julie... the song lyrics are beautiful, as are your thoughts and realizations. So happy that from your recent post, Jerry now has a job, praise God! I've also been reading about how things have been difficult for Stephie via EYHO but I'm glad that the road ahead finally seems to be smoothing out for your family as you trust in God.

    I'm not sure whether we had discussed this previously but I'm also a Christ follower :) I always feel that it's a privilege to be able to place our lives, our worries and concerns into God's hands during the most tumultuous of days. Aaron and I have also been going through a bit of uncertainty recently and I'm praying each morning that God will help us to trust His wisdom and the fact that He is always working for our good. I have a tendency to give in to anxiety and spend most of my day worrying about 'what if's'. God's gradually teaching me to hand it over :) I'll be praying for you guys across the seas continually. Thanks again for sharing this with us xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pray for you and Aaron. I've told Jerry that it's "easier" for us because we've been through so much and can look back and see where God has led us. For your generation, though, you don't have the history to see. I can't imagine what the past three years since Stephie's diagnosis would have been like without God to help us through. Even with that, there have been days that have been so bleak. I totally understand the anxiety when we are left with the "don't knows" and Satan starts yelling all of the what-ifs at us. Hang in there and know that people are praying for you. Thank you for taking the time to comment and allow me to know you better. I hope your week is a blessed one. xxx

      Delete