Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cleaning the Disaster Zone

I have been busily making quilts--for the store, for Stephie, for myself, for a special baby that's coming soon...and as a result, haven't taken the time to really straighten up my sewing room. Actually, it's been more of a pit than a room, and it's been driving me crazy. I was trying to make the baby quilt that is appliqued, and I can't find my applique pressing sheet. I have no idea where it is. Furthermore, I know that the room could be better organized, but frankly, I have no idea where to even start. The room is fairly small, but I know that even with limited space, I could have things more manageable.

This is where my good friend, Betsey, comes in. Betsey works at the quilt store with me, and has an incredible gift of knowing how to organize things AND LIKES TO DO IT!!  (I won't lie--this just blows my mind that she loves organizing things). So, I've enlisted her help. I'm hoping that she's still my friend when this is all said and done.

So yesterday, Betsey came to help me get started. Jerry is in the UK for a week, so it's just me, the two beagles and my old cat (who sleeps most of the day). Perfect opportunity to get things under control. Plus, I'm in between projects, so the timing is right. Silly me thought that one day would do it. Nope! Although, I will say that we got a lot done yesterday. The biggest thing is that we completely cleared the closet (it was a bit like Christmas finding things that I had forgotten were in there) and took the doors off the closet. We went to Menard's and got cubicles to put in the closet. Jerry had already put 18 cubicles on one wall of the room, so now I have lots of storage space. We're slowly going through all of the fabric and organizing it. Betsey arranged the room so that I have another table in there to work on (always a good thing). I'm quite excited to see it all finished and I am really, really going to try hard and keep it organized. She knows that it's not my gift, and is making it easy for me. We'll see how it goes!

My goal for the year is to finish some old projects that I haven't finished. I'm hoping that having things under control will help me figure out what to do next. It would be awesome to get some of the projects that should have been done awhile ago completed. The trick will be to not be tempted by new projects. Hmmm...we'll see how that one goes!

In other news, a dear friend from church, that is a year older than me, went into cardiac arrest yesterday, and is still fighting for her life in the hospital. We don't treasure our time here on earth like we should and spend way too much time complaining and whining. Treasure your family and loved ones and tell them that you love them. Call a friend just to say I love you. Enjoy each day and thank God for every blessing that He has poured out on you. I love each of you. 

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see pictures of your newly organized sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I can get it a bit more under control, I promise pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to the pictures. How lucky you are to have a friend who can organize AND understands what's needed in a sewing room!

    ReplyDelete